Friday, October 12, 2007

Danish Aebleskivers

Max, dear, we have been talking about apple recipes and that brought to mind Danish Aebleskivers.

Remember the first time we had them in Solvang in California? We were on a day trip to the Danish village and we saw them in every pastry shop in town? I ws looking for hand made linens and you were hunting for their famous china.

As I recall the only thing we came away with (so, we were so poor we couldn’t afford all the lovely imported items in the shops) was a Aebleskiver Pan for each of us.

I don’t know about you, but I had a few disasters–raw in the middle–aebleskivers before I mastered the trick of flipping them over with a wooden skewer. The first few kind of half turned and ran all over the pan. Now, that was back in my very novice cooking days, and everything was a potential cooking disaster.

We were back in Solvang a couple of years ago and I hesitated to order aebleskivers as I remembered how wonderful they were. I was afraid that they would not be a good as I remembered them, but they were.

What a shame that so few people have every eaten them. Everyone is always so impressed when I serve them. They think that I picked up this recipe when we lived in Europe. I wouldn’t want to disappoint them, so I let them think my pan and recipe came directly from Denmark.

Danish Aebleskiver:

Baked in a special pan, these light pancake balls are often served on Christmas Eve. This recipe came from Denmark in the 1890s.

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons margarine or butter, melted
2 cups buttermilk
3 eggs, separated
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt

In medium bowl beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; set aside. In large bowl beat egg yolks and sugar until well blended. Add all remaining ingredients except egg whites. Beat until smooth. Fold in egg whites until well blended.

Heat aebleskiver pan over medium heat until drops of water sizzle. Using about 1 tablespoon batter fill greased cups in aebleskiver pan about half full. Cook until lightly browned on bottom (2 to 3 minutes); turn with fork or knitting needle. Continue cooking until browned on bottom (2 to 3 minutes). Balls are done when wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.

Roll in sugar; serve hot. 35 pancake balls

Can add a dab of jam or fruit just before turning the aebleskiver over.

No comments: