Friday, August 3, 2007

Fried New Cymlings

How could you suggest that I, moi, would stoop to collecting specimens at historic landmarks? I will have you know that our tour guide encouraged us to take some samples. Why, right now, I am drying the seeds of an heirloom tomato from Jefferson’s Monticello. Ugly little thing, but quite tasty it was.

Max, that Pickled Fish recipe belongs only in a historical cookbook. Would you really eat Pickled Fish, willingly?

What is it about those Hollywood starlets and trouble? Does the fame and money go to their heads? All right, perhaps there is nothing in their heads. For their sakes, I hope an agent or parent or someone invested what they have made so far as I don’t see them working much in the future. Imagine being a spectacular has been at age 21!

I like your idea of a month colonial reality for the girls. It would boost attendance at whatever venue they were sentenced to, and it might teach them a useful skill, which they are going to need to support themselves. After spending 12 to 14 hours a day trying to cook meals on an open hearth (basting themselves in the summer heat is just an added bonus), they wouldn’t have much energy left over to party and get drunk.

Like you, I have been rereading some of my historical cookbooks. It is interesting to see how recipes change over the decades. I found this one in an old South Carolina plantation cookbook, and I had to think for a while to remember exactly what a Cymling was. It’s a yellow crookneck squash. I think Cymling is a better name. The use of bacon grease tells you that this is an old recipe, but still good. In fact, this is so easy that our starlets could probably, well maybe with help, fry the squash in a skillet over an open flame.

Fried New Cymlings:

2 pounds cymlings
4 tablespoons bacon fat
1 teaspoon sugar
Salt and pepper to taste

Wash and slice cymlings into ¼ inch slices. Heat the bacon fat in a large skillet and when hot add the cymlings. Cover and cook for about 10 minutes. Uncover and continue cooking for another 10 minutes. Sprinkle on sugar, salt and pepper.

Serves 6

No comments: