Sunday, September 9, 2007

Chesapeake and Ohio Railroad’s Welsh Rarebit

Max, I hesitate to send you this railroad recipe, since you seem to be suffering a full blown case of Summer Heat and I Can’t Take It Any Longer. So I suggest you file this one away for a cool autumn afternoon. Welsh Rarebit seems to have fallen out of favor the last few years. When I was little, I thought it was Welsh Rabbit. Shows what a bright child I was. How does a dish named rabbit have no meat?

As I was typing this out, I realized that it has ale in it. Honest, Max, I do not spend all my days hunting down recipes that have alcohol in them. They just seem to fall into my lap. No ale? Beer will work too.

Chesapeake & Ohio Railroad’s Welsh Rarebit:

3 tablespoons butter
1 pound aged cheddar cheese
½ teaspoon dry mustard
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
½ cup ale
2 eggs
8 slices of thick toast, cut into diagonals
Paprika

With a shredder, shred the cheese fine. Beat the eggs slightly with a whip.

In a double boiler over gently boiling water, melt the butter. Then add the cheese and cook until the cheese is melted. Stirring constantly, add all the rest of the ingredients, with the eggs last. Cook until the mixture is thick and heated through.

Serve this over two slices of thick toast, whole wheat is best, and with a side of bacon or Canadian bacon. Sprinkle on a bit of paprika for color.

Makes 4 generous servings.

No comments: