Saturday, September 29, 2007

Hot and Spicy Peach Pickles

I’ll have to think long and hard about that Pear Butter. It does have possibilities, and I am running out of things to do with pears.

As I was hunting through my cookbooks looking for “new and interesting” ways to preserve pears, I came across this recipe for Yellow Peach Pickle. The name sounded interesting so I read on wondering if I could replace the peaches with pears. Then I came to the garlic, curry powder, coriander, onions, and chilie peppers!! Wow, would this liven up a meal!! I guess if you like spicy food, this would be great, but not for me! Still I thought you might get a kick out of it Erma.

Wonder what you would serve this with? Mexican food? Texas barbeque? Certainly some ice water on the side would be appropriate.

Yellow Peach Pickle:

3 large onions
¼ cup vegetable oil
1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
1 tablespoon curry powder
2 teaspoons ground turmeric
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 ½ cups red wine vinegar
1 cup white sugar
2 dried hot red chilie peppers, crumbled
10 whole cloves
2 teaspoon canning salt
10 medium sized ripe peaches

Cut onions lengthwise into thin slices. In heavy 4 to 5 quart pot, heat the oil over moderate heat until very hot. Add onions and garlic. Cook 5 minutes until onions are soft but not brown. Add curry powder, turmeric and coriander and stir 2 minutes. Stir in vinegar, sugar, chilies, cloves and salt and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cook 15 minutes.

Peel the skins off the peaches. Cut in half lengthwise. Discard pits. Cut each peach into wedges. Add to the simmering liquid and stir gently until wedges are evenly coated. Cover the pot, and simmer 20 minutes until the peaches are tender. Ladle into hot sterilized pars and seal.

Makes 4 pints. Attach label that states: Warning. Contents May Burn the Mouth and Stomach.”

No comments: