Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Fried Green Tomatoes

The Albemarle Potato Surprise is certainly different, and no, Erma, I have never seen a recipe like it. I have fixed Broiled Tomatoes, and Potato Pancakes, but never thought of putting them together.

Since we’re talking tomatoes, we had our first tomato on the Fourth of July. They would have been earlier, but that April cold spell killed my early plants.

I have given your Fried Green Tomatoes recipe to all my neighbors so they can rush the season with “our first tomatoes.” Isn’t it funny how the first tomatoes get to the nice green stage and then just sit there, refusing to turn red?

I had never heard of Fried Green Tomatoes, this being long before the movie and book, until you told me of this old Southern treat. Then a few years ago when we were in England, our hostess served them for breakfast and said they were a ”traditional English breakfast item.” So, the question is, did you Southerners invent this dish, or did it originally come from England? Either way, I am sure that it began as a way to rush the season on tomatoes in the summer, or as a way to use up all the green tomatoes when the first frost threatened.

Fried Green Tomatoes:

Slice green tomatoes and coat each slice in seasoned flour and a little cornmeal. Fry until golden on both sides in bacon drippings. Some people sprinkle a little brown sugar on, or cream gravy, but they are best plain with a bacon slice on top.

No comments: