Sunday, November 25, 2007

Low Calorie Poppy Seed Bread Machine Bread

Max, dear, I just have to pass on this delicious Low Calorie Poppy Seed Bread from my neighbor Ellie Platt. Ellie’s mother was originally from Hungary and she is a fabulous baker. Her strudels are to die for. Anyway, yesterday she brought over a loaf of bread for me to try.

I could tell right off that it came out of a bread machine and you know that I am not a fan of bread machines. I love kneading bread. It’s so therapeutic. For five to ten minutes you can punch any irrating person you know.

But, this bread was really good and it is supposed to be Low Calorie. Ellie has been on a diet for a couple of months and the lack of good bread is killing her. Someone in her exercise class brought in this recipe and when Ellie heard it had poppy seeds she just had to try it. Since you love poppy seeds as much as I do, you really ought to try it.

This bread comes out with a lovely golden crust and little poppy seeds all through the bread. Ellie, good Hungarian cook that she is, upped the poppy seeds to 2 teaspoons.

Low Calorie Poppy Seed Bread:

1 1/4 cups warm water
2 tablespoons soft butter
2 tablespoons brown sugar
¼ cup dried minced onion
1 ½ teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon poppy seeds
½ teaspoon onion powder
½ teaspoon pepper
3 cups bread flour
2 tablespoons dry milk powder
3 teaspoons active dry yeast

Place all ingredients in your bread machine in the order suggested by the manufacturer. Select the basic bread setting. After 5 minutes of mixing, check the dough and add 1 or 2 tablespoons of flour or water if needed.

Makes one loaf of 16 slices. Each slice is 100 calories, 2 grams of fat, 4 milligrams of cholesterol, and 20 grams of carbohydrates.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the OLED, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://oled-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.