Saturday, November 24, 2007

Unusual Potato Cakes

Max, you know how I love onions. I am convinced that part of my good health is due to eating lots of onions. The better half says that because I eat so many onions, no person, ill or well, will get close enough to spread their germs.

You know that I am NOT cooking until next week, but this recipe tempts me to break that rule. It was passed on by a good friend, who like us, lived in California for a while. She got it from someone from Spanish Forks, Utah years ago, and she swears that it is do die for.

Cris doesn’t know where Spanish Forks is and neither do I, but someone there sure knows how to cook.

Deviled Potato Cakes from Spanish Forks, Utah:

6 potatoes, cooked
1 4 ½ ounce can deviled ham
3 tablespoons minced onion
2 tablespoons flour
2 tablespoons minced parsley
1 tablespoon mustard
½ teaspoon salt
¼ cup butter
1/3 to ½ cup evaporated milk

Grate the cooked potatoes with a grater. Combine the potatoes, ham, onion, flour, parsley, mustard and salt. Form into 6 to 8 patties. Brown one side slowly in butter in a skillet. Spoon the milk over the patties. Cook until the milk has evaporated and bottom of the patties are crusty. Carefully turn over with a pancake turner. Cook until the other side is crusty.

Serves 6 to 8.

No comments: