Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Thanksgiving Ideas for Stale Rolls

Went to the store today and came out with a pickup truck load of groceries. I was doing my part to help the economy–at least the grocer’s bottom line.

Now to begin The Cooking Marathon. Let the Baking Begin!!

So, I began with making several batches of Refrigerator Rolls.

Now, normally, in our house, a leftover dinner roll has a life expectancy of about 24 hours, if it is lucky. But last week, I baked up some extra rolls, stored them in one of those Tupperware thingies, and forgot all about them for four days. They probably would have reheated okay in the microwave, but I wasn’t in the hot roll mood.

Then I remembered this thing my mother used to do with old rolls. So, on Sunday morning we had juice, sausage and Cinnamon Crunch Delights (Okay, I added the Delights to the name.) Nobody guessed that they were leftovers and youngest son gave them a 9 ½ out of 10 for taste.

These are actually worth saving back a few rolls to go stale just to serve this Delight.

Cinnamon Crunch Delights:

Baked Dinner Rolls, at least a day old and up to a week old–staler the better
Butter
Cinnamon Sugar
1 cup white sugar (brown sugar makes a richer taste)
2 teaspoons cinnamon

With a serrated knife cut the rolls into 3 or 4 pieces. Spread generously with butter on all cut surfaces. Cover tops well with Cinnamon Sugar. Bake on a foil lined cookie sheet at 450 degrees until crispy. Ten minutes or so. Serve hot.

No comments: